NCB 's Services at a glance
Project & Industrial ActivitiesSee More...
News & Events
Highlights – 200 Technical Papers in 25 Technical Sessions. 3 Special Technical Sessions & 3 Keynote Speakers. Scope for Placing advertisement in Seminar Proceedings. Dinner and Cultural Programme on 6th October 2017. Depending on the response, Technical Tours and Visits to places of Historical and Cultural interest would be organized.
Guidelines for Preparation of manuscripts of Full Paper (FP), OneRead More
National Awards for Energy Efficiency, Environmental Excellence and Quality Excellence in Indian Cement Industry (2015-16 & 2016-17).
[table id=1 /]
Steps for Online Payment through SB CollectRead More
Announcement – World’s most awaited biennale on Cement, Concrete and Building Materials, 05-08 December 2017, New Delhi, India
E-Registration E-Registration Seminar Bulletin 1 Bulletin 1 Click to know more about 15th NCBRead More
NCB Campus - Pics NCB Campus - VideoRead More
NCB CRMs of Coal NCB has developed two new CRMs ofRead More
NCB Proficiency Testing SchemeRead More
CCE Training Brochure NCB Training Calendar 2017-18 NCB Overseas Training Brochure Forthcoming TrainingRead More
Centre for Quality Management, Standards & Calibration Services (CQC)
- Standard Reference Materials (SRMs)
- Calibration Services (CLS)
- Total Quality Management (TQM)
- Inter Laboratory Services (ILC)
Select list of important projects completed
- Two day training workshop on laboratory management and internal audit as per ISO/IEC 17025:2005 Accreditation for a thermal power plant.
- Four day training workshop on laboratory management system and internal audit as per ISO/IEC 17025:2005 for a cement plant.
- 7-day workshop on statistical quality control (SQC) for 7 plants each of two corporate groups.
- Assistance in ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accreditation of quality control laboratory of 9 cement plants.
- Assistance in ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accreditation of coal testing laboratory of 2 thermal power plants.
- Assessment of quality assurance system and quality control laboratory of 3 cement plants.
- Assessment of quality assurance system and quality control laboratory of grinding units of 3 cement plants.
- Laboratory assessment and proficiency improvement study for 38 cement plants & 2 thermal power plants.
Development of plant specific limestone/raw meal/clinker/cement standards for calibration of x-ray analyzer for 9 cement plants.
- Proficiency Testing of Laboratories
- Standard Reference Materials
- Binani Cement Ltd., Binanigram
- Wonder Cement Ltd., R K Nagar, Chittorgrah (Rajasthan)
- Jaypee Cement Ltd., Sewagram
- My Home Industries Ltd., Nalgonda Cement Plant and Vizag Grinding Unit
- Toshali Cements Pvt. Ltd., Ampavalli Plan and Bayyavaram Grinding Unit
- North Gujarat Research Division, (NGRD) – GERI, Ghandinagar, Gujarat
- Manikgarh Cement, Gadchandur, Chandrapur
- Sardar Sarovar Narmad Nigam Ltd, Surender Nagar
- NTPC Ltd, Uri-II, Barammllaha (J&K)
- South Gujarat Research Division, (GERI), Surat
- UltraTech cement Ltd. Plants and grinding units
- Holcim Cement
- Gujarat Ambuja Cement Ltd.Plants and Grinding Units
- Ultratech Cement Ltd., Panipat Cement Works & Vikram Cement Works
- JK Cement Ltd., Nimbahera
- NTPC, Korba
- Punjab Thermal Power Plant, Talwandi
- Central Road Research Institute (CRRI), New Delhi
- Biltech Building Elements Ltd., Palwal
- Bhilai Jaypee Cement Ltd., Babupur and Bhilai
- Orient Cement, Jalgaon.
- Central Material Testing Lab, THDC, Tehri Gharwal
- Ultratech Cement Ltd, Chittorgarh (Rajasthan)
- Meja Urja Nigam Ltd, NTPC Meja, Allahabad (U.P)
- Haryana Irrigation Research & Management Institute (HIRMI), Kurukshetra, Haryana
- NTPC Netra, Greater Noida (U.P)
- Panipat Thermal Power Plant, Panipat, Haryana
- Guru Gobind Singh Super Thermal Plant (GGSSTP), Rupanagar (Punjab)
- Guru Nanak Dev Thermal Plant, Bathinda, Punjab
- Guru Hargovind Thermal Plant, Lehra Mohabat, Bathinda, (Punjab)
- Talwandi Sabo Power Ltd (TSPL), Mansa (Punjab)
- Central Research Laboratory, MPPWD, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Rajiv Gandhi Thermal Power Plant, Khedar (Hisar)
- NTPC Ltd, Rihand Super Thermal Power Station, Sonebhadra (U.P)
- Deen Bandhu Chotu Ram Thermal Power Project, Yamumanagar, Haryana
- Badarpur Thermal Power Station, NTPC-Badarpur, New Delhi
- Coal India Limited
- All Cement Plants & Thermal Power Plants for CRMs
- ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accredited testing laboratories for CRMs & Proficiency Testing
ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accredited testing laboratories for CRMs & proficiency testing.
Activities and Services
- Calibration services
- Development and supply of certified reference materials (CRMs) – 68 types of CRMs developed
- Laboratory assessment and proficiency improvement services – 42 studies completed
- Setting up laboratories and laboratory upgradation
- Assistance in ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accreditation
- Proficiency testing for cement and construction material testing laboratories – 35 schemes completed
- Organizing corporate group specific proficiency testing schemes
- Implementing statistical quality control (SQC)/statistical process control (SPC)
- Total quality management
- Evaluation of laboratory equipment
- National quality Award scheme for cement industry
- Benchmarking for improvement in products and processes and continual improvement.
Ans. 1. To improve the quality i.e. defect prevention and cost reduction, management and continual improvement of all the organizational process, satisfaction of all stakeholders and compliance to ISO 9001 certification.
- 2. Does NCB undertake proficiency testing (PT)?
Ans. 2. NCB is the first ISO 17043:2010 accredited PT Provider Chemical and mechanical field) in the country. The scope of accreditation includes, cement, clinker, fly ash, limestone, coal/coke, granulated slag and water in chemical field and cement, fly ash, aggregate in mechanical field. NCB has completed 35 PT schemes till date.
- 3. Is calibration laboratory of NCB accredited?
Ans. 3. It is accredited by NABL as per ISO/IEC 17025:2005 for calibration of equipment in mechanical and thermal field. A large number of areas: force, pressure, dimension, revolution,. Temperature and RH are covered.
- 4. What is the use of certified reference materials (CRMs)?
Ans. 4. Certified Reference Materials are used for the calibration of equipment, preparation of standard solutions, validation of a test procedure and checking proficiency of a chemist/operator. NCB is the sole provider of CRMS for cement and construction materials sector. Many of these CRMS are mandatory for calibration of equipment under BIS scheme of testing and inspection (STI) for cement industry.
- 5. What is uncertainty of measurement?
Ans. 5. It is a parameter associated with the result of measurement that characterizes the dispersion of the true values which could reasonably be attributed to the measurand.
- 6. What is the scope of activities in Laboratory assessment and proficiency improvement study?
Ans. 6. Scope: Assessment of physical and chemical testing laboratory facilities vis-à-vis BIS requirements; Identification of areas needing improvement; Calibration of laboratory equipment and devices with reference standards and SRMs by NCB’s ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accredited Independent Calibration Laboratories (CTM, VM, Physical Balance, Precision Balance, Muffle Furnace, Oven, Blaine Air-permeability Apparatus-one each); Interactive sessions including lectures on principal concepts of sampling, sample preparation and testing as per BIS methods; Laboratory demonstrations, practice sessions and parallel testing exercises as per BIS methods on raw materials, coal, fly ash, clinker and cement; Report including recommendations for continual improvement.
Time Target: 3 months
- 7. What is the scope of activities in Assessment of quality assurance system?
Ans. 7. Scope: Visit of physical and chemical testing laboratory of plant and assessment of facilities vis-à-vis BIS requirement; Identification of equipment and accessories for testing as per BIS norms; Checking the Calibration status of the laboratory equipment and devices; Assessment of competence of laboratory personnel; Review of sampling practices, testing methods and procedures; Assessment of Quality Assurance System of the cement plant; Submission of report on the overall assessment.
Time Target: 3 months
8. What is the scope of activities in development of plant specific Calibration Reference standards?
Ans. 8. Scope: Submission of 7 nos. representative samples of each material (limestone, clinker, OPC and PPC) to NCB by plant for development of standards (total 28 standards for 4 materials); Homogenization of 7 nos. samples of each material (limestone, clinker, OPC and PPC); Statistical check of homogeneity of samples; Packing of each homogenised sample in bottles, each containing 50g material; Drawing up of analytical programme (analysis as per relevant IS standard on predefined adequate number of sub-samples) for development of 7 standards (for each material) for the following constituents: LOI, SiO2, Fe2O3, Al2O3, CaO, MgO, SO3, Na2O, K2O, and Cl; Analysis of homogenised limestone (as per IS 1760:1991, 1992) and clinker & cement (as per IS 4032: 1985) samples in NCB laboratories as per analytical programme; Submission of 50 nos. sealed bottles of each standard (350 bottles of 7 standards, therefore total 1,400 bottles for 4 materials); Statistical evaluation of data; Assignment of true value with uncertainty in measurement as per ISO guidelines; Preparation of report with certificate of analysis of standards; Submission of certificates and report.
Time Target: 3 months for each material.
- 9. What is the scope of activities under assistance in ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accreditation service?
Ans. 9. Scope: Introduction to ISO 17025: 2005 requirements for top management; Awareness programme on ISO 17025: 2005 requirements for the core team; Training of laboratory personnel on NABL accreditation requirements; Assistance in preparation of quality manual and executive procedures; Guidance in preparing standard operational procedures and maintaining laboratory records; Training of laboratory personnel on measurement uncertainty calculation; Assistance in internal audit and management review; Assistance in submission of application for accreditation with assessing bodies; Assistance in preparation for final assessment; Guidance in resolving non-conformities raised during assessment.
Time Target: 6 months for filing application for accreditation.
10. What is the scope of activities in four-day training workshop on laboratory management system and internal audit as per ISO/IEC 17025?
Ans. 10. Scope: Basic quality concepts; NABL accreditation norms; ISO/IEC 17025:2005 laboratory management system; Management requirements of the standard; Technical requirements of the standard; Documentation structure for compliance and accreditation; Skill development in system documentation; Group and individual exercises on standard requirements; Specific criteria of accreditation; Equipment calibration, traceability and in-service checks; Internal audit process and procedure; Mock sessions on internal audit; Practical sessions on laboratory audit; Identification of non-conformities in management and technical system; Management review process and procedure for system improvement
Time Target: 4 days
PROFICIENCY TESTING SCHEMES BY NCB
NCB has launched new PT schemes on Chemical and Mechanical testing of PPC. Patrons are requested to mail their consent for participation by mailing consent from (Form 1) attached with protocol of PT scheme.
The last date of registration in ongoing PT schemes is as given below:
- NCB Proficiency Testing Scheme on PPC for Chemical Parameters (ILS/PT/35)
- NCB Proficiency Testing Scheme on PPC for Mechanical Parameters (ILS/PT/36)
- NCB PT Scheme on Mortar Cube – Mechanical Parameters (ILS/PT/32): 30th September 2017
- NCB PT scheme on Concrete Cube – Mechanical Parameters (ILS/PT/38)
- Proficiency Testing (PT) Calendar (January 2017- December 2018)